Tuesday, August 31, 2010

C-Sections...

There is an ever growing trend today in birthing. So many women are giving into a c section for "emergency" reasons. Did you know that true emergencies are rare? Let me explain to you what an OB today considers an emergency, BEING LATE FOR TEE OFF, DINNER PRTY OR ANY OTHER THING S/HE HAS TO DO OTHER THAN WAIT ON YOUR BODY TO DO ITS JOB. Why not let the OB do it for you? It is faster and keeps a nice fat bank account for your OB. AAAAND, as long as your doc specifies it is an emergency, your INS will pay!!! Who can lose, right? Well let me first tell you, your baby is losing out. Our uteruses are made to contract, (squeeze the baby). Your vagina is made for the baby to exit your womb, this mode of exit is supposed to help get the amniotic fluid out of your babies lungs, and also help them take their first breath. Our bodies were created to birth our babies! Yet everyday millions of women submit to a c section thinking, "Oh, i can't dilate on my own", "My doctor said the baby was too big". LEt me dispell another myth for you. THE HUMAN FEMALE BODY WILL VERY RARELY CREATE A BABY TO BIG FOR HER BODY TO BIRTH!!! Wake up women! We are NOT broken! Women who do create very large babies often have an underlying health problem, such as diabetes or gestational diabetes. Therefore, these women NEED to be seeing an OB.
Home birth is not for everyone. That is not my point here.
MY point is, something needs to be done about these c section rates across the US. Women need INFORMED CONSENT. I want for you to look up informed consent. I want you to read something other than what to expect while you're expecting! Read some Ina May Gaskin. DO research on the web, your local OB's and hospitals. Do not take my word for it. Look at your c section rates for YOUR city. Women with a low risk pregnancy should stay home through most of labor. This helps minimize the amount of interventions that could occur. One intervention brings on another. Your amniotic sac does not HAVE to be ruptured by a doctor. It helps cushion the contractions and keeps your baby safe! Trust me, it will break when its time!
Im not going to sit here and type out a ton of stats or say home birth is the only way. I feel women should have a choice! BUt MOST women just blindly do what the OB says. Then when your baby is born not breathing well from all the drugs you took during labor, or has issues bonding after a c section, you will understand why.
It just stuns me how many women are okay with being cut open. I often hear the exact same excuse..."Failure to progress" or "baby was too big". If we are so uncapable of having babies on our own, the human race would have died out thousands of years ago. Oh my! What would we have done with out an OB there to yell at us to push, or tell us our bodies dont work right?
Women need to stop doing routine inductions, there is NO REASON for it!!! Unless mother or baby's lives are ind danger, lets make this common practice extinct! I want to see more women go into the OB's office knowing more than when their last period was! I challenge my fellow preggo moms to be proactive whe it comes to the care of their reproductive organs! Lets start a riot! A revolution!
I would love to hear your c section stories, stories on pissing off your OB, anything! Write me @ enigmaanjel@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment